You can set up multiple ways to receive notifications when checks in your account
change state. This is useful for multiple reasons:
- Redundancy in case of notification failures. Set up notifications using two different
transports (for example, email and Slack). If one transport fails (e.g., an email
message goes to spam), you still receive the notification over the other transport.
- Use different notification methods depending on urgency. For example, if a
low-priority housekeeping script fails, post a message in chat. If a vital service fails,
post in chat, send an email, and send SMS.
- Route notifications to the right people.
Notification methods ("integrations") are scoped to a project:
if you want to use a notification method in multiple projects, it must be
set up in each project separately.
In the web interface, the list of checks shows a visual overview of which alerting
methods are enabled for each check. You can click the icons to toggle them on and off:
You can also toggle the integrations on and off when viewing an individual check:
If you want to receive repeated notifications for as long as a particular check is
down, you have a few different options:
- If you use an incident management system (PagerDuty, VictorOps, OpsGenie, PagerTree,
Pager Team), you can set up escalation rules there.
- Use the Pushover integration with the "Emergency" priority. Pushover will
play a loud notification sound on your phone every 5 minutes until the notification
- Cron monitoring can send hourly or daily email reminders if any check is down
across all projects you have access to.
Set them up in Account Settings › Email Reports:
Cron monitoring sends monthly email reports at the start of each month. Use them
to make sure all checks have their expected state and nothing has
"fallen through the cracks".
A monthly report shows checks from all projects you have access
to. For each check it lists:
- check's current status
- the number of downtimes by month, for the two previous months
- the total downtime duration by month, for the two previous months
You can opt out from the monthly reports in the
Account Settings › Email Reports page
or by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link in report's footer.